What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is based on the idea that the body has the ability to heal itself. It was founded in the late 1700s in Germany by Sameul Hahnemann and has been widely practiced throughout Europe.
Homeopathy is based on the idea that “like cures like”. That is if a substance causes the symptoms in a healthy person, by giving the person a very small amount of the same substance may cure the illness. In theory a homeopathic dose enhances the body’s normal healing and self regulatory process.
Homeopathy is a natural, holistic, approach to healing a person, using minute doses of specific remedies, rather than simply eliminating a particular symptom using a Band-Aid approach. Unlike many health models, the model for homeopathy is one of individualization. No two people are alike, so just because two people suffer from headaches, the homeopathic remedies provided for them may be completely different.
Homeopathy is also a rational form of medicine.If the bodies defense system is handicapped by poor diet,bad habits,destructive emotions,and environmental stresses ,it stands to reason that homeopathic remedies,of themselves,will be of limited benefit.If you consult a homeopath he or she may suggest a change of diet or lifestyle before prescribing any remedy.
Homeopathy is not a system for those in search of instant,easy answers,although it can act very swiftly in acute conditions.It requires careful self-monitoring and willingness to stick to a course of action.
What are the benefits of homeopathy?
- It can be used by pregnant and nursing women
- It can be used by children and infants;
- It does not interfere with medications taken by a person;
- Other than occasional, mild, and short-lived symptom aggravations which pass quickly and tend to be followed by improvements in the symptoms of a person, there are no side-effects of homeopathic remedies. This symptom aggravation is actually regarded by homeopaths as a sign that the correct homeopathic remedy has been selected and usually results in symptom improvements;
- It can be used for chronic or acute conditions;
- It is an individualized system of medicine which treats the person, not merely the symptoms. The symptoms, however, are addressed when using this approach and are typically improved;
- Homeopathy is a holistic approach to healing: one that involves the body, mind, emotions, and spirit of the person being treated;
- Homeopathic remedies are readily available and can, therefore, be used by anyone;
- Homeopathic remedies are typically inexpensive and therefore provide an affordable approach to healing;
- Homeopathic remedies can be stored for long periods of time;
- Homeopathic medicine is non-invasive
- There are many studies proving the effectiveness of homeopathy, when used correctly.